Triumphs and Tribulations of a Middle Manager Implementing a New Performance Measure: Abstract
Presented in the form of a comic book, this two-part case follows the efforts (or lack thereof) of Richard, the Quebec regional manager of Frippe, a cross-Canada chain of fashion boutiques, to implement a new performance indicator. Four years earlier, Mary, the founder’s daughter, had taken over the reins of the company and repatriated production to Canada. Her next goal was to improve the customer experience with the help of a new performance indicator: the conversion rate. Richard was not fully on board with the idea and paid little attention to its implementation, but, at the end of the fiscal year, he had to submit a progress report to Mary.
- Identify performance measures facilitating control.
- Recognize the consistency between corporate strategy and performance evaluation.
- Identify the role of managers in terms of control and change implementation.
- Identify an agency problem; understand the impact of incentive plans on behaviour.
Main themes covered
- Performance indicators
- Part A
- Part B (included when buying a teacher license only)
Teachers notes are available for teachers only. Please contact HEC Montréal Case Centre.