Recruiting Faster: Process Innovation & Change Management at SDL: Abstract
This two-part case (A and B) revolves around a mandate given by Ganesh Purandare, head of the financial services business unit at SDL, a growing software development company, to Mohua Sen, head of recruitment for the division, whereby he asks her to reduce recruitment times. For SDL, each lateral hire is done against a billable opportunity. Hence, timely or early fulfillment is critical not only to ensuring project deliverables but also for addressing the immediate billability question.
Part A: Mohua Sen examines the entire process timelines and considers the feasibility of reducing recruitment times. The principles of business process re-engineering are used to study the problem of process cycle time reduction. Students are asked to provide possible solutions.
Part B: The case describes the implementation of the solution as applied by Mohua Sen in a pilot project in her division. Challenges emerge regarding acceptance of this process and the effective implementation across the organization. This aspect builds on the gaps which exist between knowing and doing, how to understand and address key stakeholder concerns and how to bring about change in organizations.
- Understand the challenges in reducing process cycle times for improved service delivery when there are multiple stakeholders with conflicting goals and agendas
- Convey the need for an HR function to align with its business strategy through constant innovation
- Demonstrate customer value as a cornerstone for a support function to operate as a true business partner
- Given multiple sets of stakeholders, each with different priorities, learn how to change mindsets to obtain the buy-in of key decision-making units to successfully implement business process re-engineering for better organizational outcomes
- Address the challenges and understand the importance of aligning stakeholders for any change management initiative
Main themes covered
- Operations management
- Change management
Concepts and theories related to the case
- Change management frameworks
- Operations management principles
- Part A: Process Innovation at SDL
- Part B: Change Management at SDL (only available with a Teaching License purchase)
Teaching notes are available for professors. Contact the HEC Montreal Case Centre.