Writing a Two-Pronged Annual Marketing Plan for Just Us! Coffee Roasters: Abstract
The Just Us! worker cooperative has been in business since the mid-1990s. This company with an economic and social mission has sought to make its mark in the business world by trumpeting its “humanitarian” positioning through the slogan: “People and the planet before profits.”
In addition to operating four coffeehouses, Just Us! sells products (mainly fair trade and organic coffee, tea, chocolate and sugar) via a distribution network. Although the company was prospering, the financial crisis of fall 2008, which triggered an economic recession, quickly prompted the management committee to consider producing a marketing plan for the coming year, to optimize the use of the organization’s resources. Pauline, hired by Just Us! slightly more than two years earlier, was assigned this task. Her work at the co-op was so impressive that she had recently been promoted to director of marketing and sales.
- Learn about the reality of management in a company with two complementary (possibly competing) business divisions – one a restaurant and the other a distributor
- Analyze the situation of the four coffeehouses and of distribution operations using quantitative and qualitative data
- Understand the importance of organizational values, company positioning and consumers’ needs in the formulation of a marketing strategy
- Propose marketing activities for a year of operation for each of the company’s divisions
Main themes covered
- Distribution activities
- Service company
- Developing a marketing mix for each of the two divisions
- Marketing and financial ratios for measuring the performance of the plan
Teaching notes are available for teachers only. Contact the HEC Montréal Case Centre for more information.