The National Hockey League (NHL): Abstract
This case profiles the National Hockey League (NHL), the most prestigious professional hockey league in the world. It presents the league’s history, highlighting facts inherent to professional sports in North America. It also examines the NHL’s value proposition, sources of revenue, and major expenses. Finally, it looks at the strengths and weaknesses of the league’s business model, speculating about the future.
- Students will be familiar with the Business Model Canvas analysis tool.
- Have been introduced to the notion of business models for major professional sports leagues and have an understanding of their value proposition and dynamic strategies.
- Have positioned the NHL within the broader field of professional sports in North America.
- Have identified the main variables of the NHL’s value proposition.
- Have identified the elements inherent to revenue generation and costs in the NHL’s business model.
- Have identified avenues of growth for the NHL in the years to come.
Main themes covered
- Business model canvas.
Teachers notes are available for teachers only. Please contact HEC Montréal Case Centre.